| DONNYBROOK FACTOIDS
While the lovely Dodder River still attracts fishermen to its shores, the Village is NOT named after this civic amenity.
The name given to the area in early times was Domnach Broc, the Church of Broc. Broc was the daughter of a tribal chief and some time around the year 800 she founded a convent. Little is known of the subsequent history of this religous establishment, other than that one of the Nuns, Mobi, is remembered as a martyr.
In 1285, King John of Robin Hood fame granted to the village the right to hold a commercial fair. Such fairs were a time of festivity and excitement. Much alcohol was consumed and the result. all too frequently, was the cracking of heads. Donnybrook Fair became infamous for the riotous behaviour of its participants and in modern English, Donnybrook still means brawl. As in, it was a regular 'Donnybrook'.
The authorities banned Donnybrook Fair in 1855 and the village settled into genteel Victorian splendour.
In modern times, Donnybrook is a very desirable neighbourhood. Many fine Victorian houses line the streets and an air of prosperity hangs over the entire area.
Within easy walking distance of St. Stephen's Green and the commercial centre of Dublin, Donnybrook is part of the wealthy Dublin 4 district. Frequent bus service connects Donnybrook to the close by commercial district, University College Dublin and to the Airport.
Numerous restaurants and pubs line the main street (a two minute walk from Donnybrook Hall). Donnybrook Rugby Ground is home to the professional Leinster Team. Other notable local attractions include nearby Herbert Park with its ponds and waterfall and planted gardens. As well, the famous Helen Dillon gardens are close by.